Learning from Living with Dementia
A 1-day dementia awareness course co-produced with EDUCATE (people living with dementia) and delivered by DementiaTrainers.
Learning from Living with Dementia is a dementia awareness training day with a big difference. It’s both co-produced and co-delivered by people living with dementia. Watch the short film about this training course by clicking here.
All the key learning points on this course are taught, via embedded video clips, by people who have dementia. They explain exactly what each symptom is really like...
They talk about how it feels...
They make us think about the impact of unhelpful practices...
They talk about what others can do to help...
They explain the importance of getting to know the person with dementia as an individual...
They show us that despite their symptoms there are many strengths and abilities they’ve retained.
In between the video clips are a range of trainer-led activities to help embed the learning and prompt learners to plan how they will use their learning to make a difference for people with dementia they support.
We also offer a 2-day Train the Trainer programme to enable others to deliver Learning from Living with Dementia.
- What is dementia?
- Types of dementia
- Understanding the symptoms of dementia from the perspective of people experiencing them
- How we can help
- An enabling environment for people with dementia
- Overcoming communication barriers
- How it feels to live with dementia
- Supporting people with difficult feelings
- Causes of distress
- Problem-solving strategies
- Compensating for difficulties and drawing on strengths of people with dementia
- The importance of identity and life history
- Getting to know people as individuals
- Gaining knowledge of individuals’ abilities and difficulties
- Working in partnership to facilitate maximum independence
- Well-being in dementia
- Recognising signs of well-being and signs of ill-being
- Enhancing the well-being of people with dementia
- Key points
- Action planning
"I have attended a lot of dementia awareness courses over the years. I can honestly say that Learning from Living with Dementia is the most engaging, thought provoking and person-centred course I have ever had the pleasure of attending."
"Participants can’t help but connect and care deeply about the people they are working with after having a training day like this!"
"I found the training incredibly valuable and gave a real insight into the experiences of people with dementia. The various activities were thought-provoking and led to interesting discussions between those present."